[Oisf-devel] GPU Support

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Wed Jan 6 15:50:14 UTC 2010

Hi Charles,

Charles Wyble wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Charles Wyble and I'm a systems/network engineer. I've long
> been interested in security as a practical matter. Worked for numerous
> e-commerce and other very sensitive environments.
>
> I'm currently in the process of setting up a very comprehensive lab
> environment and plan to use Suricata IDS for the IDS/IPS. Thus far I've
> just been researching it, and it looks very promising. Plan to combine
> it with opsview (already in use) , to get a comprehensive overview of
> the network and show that open source net security/monitoring tools are
> awesome.
>
> Anyway, I noticed in the release announcement discussion of GPU
> offloading. This is a huge passion of mine, and I would like to help.
>
> I have a CUDA Nvidia GPU, (01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia
> Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
> a ps3 running Ubuntu 9.04 (cell sdk) and an ATI stream card (brook)
>
> I'm fairly new to CUDA/OpenCL development, but would be happy to
> alpha/beta test code. Or if developers need access to hardware for
> testing purposes I would be happy to set that up.

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

The current status of our support is that we have a almost working
OpenCL pattern matcher. Almost, as we keep running into driver issues
and such. The status of OpenCL implementations so far seems a little
immature.

This is why we plan to focus on CUDA first the coming weeks. That will
limit us to Nvidia obviously, but at least it should work then :)

A second issue is that just invoking the GPU based pattern matcher for
each packet/buffer is going to kill performance, not help it. So we'll
have to design some sort of batch pattern scan mode. That too is
something I plan to work on in the coming weeks.

So... lot of work to do :)

I will commit our current OpenCL soon which means you can look at it and
run it to see if it has bugs (assuming we get rid of the current bugs,
see above) and then complain about the performance :) Later I hope our
code will be more useful and then any testing will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Victor