[Oisf-devel] [RFC] af-packet fanout configuration

Eric Leblond eric at regit.org
Mon Aug 8 15:58:18 UTC 2011

Hello,

I'm currently working on af-packet support following the  patches
proposed by David Miller to support multiple threads reading on the same
interface (similar to PF_RING cluster). Basic af-packet support is now
working and I will now add support for this feature called fanout.

I hesitate on the configuration part: PF_RING uses a pfring.threads
variable that is used to set the number of threads. pf_ring has
integrated support of the multi-thread feature but this is not the case
for af-packet. We will then have in fanout mode real suricata managed
threads. Thus this could be useful to manage and tune them via the
thread affinity setup.

I propose the following:
      * af-packet.fanout: activation of fanout/multithread support
      * af-packet.threads: set the number of threads
If set_cpu_affinity is set to yes:
      * cpu_affinity.receive_cpu_set.threads is used to set the number
        of threads
      * if cpu_affinity.receive_cpu_set.threads and af-packet.threads
        disagree a warning is loggued.

What do you think ?

BR,
--