[Oisf-devel] Fedora 16 init script - load on bootup

Paul H Park paul at metricscube.com
Tue Dec 27 23:40:24 UTC 2011

Since Fedora is using systemctl now, I get this error when using
systemctl start suricata.service and suricata does not load on bootup
(neither chkconfig suricata on nor systemctl enable suricata.service works):

Dec 27 18:36:45 localhost suricata[10527]: To run the engine with
default configuration on interface eth0 with signature file
"signatures.rules", run the command as:
Dec 27 18:36:45 localhost suricata[10527]: suricata -c suricata.yaml -s
signatures.rules -i eth0
Dec 27 18:36:46 localhost suricata[10527]: [FAILED]
Dec 27 18:36:46 localhost systemd[1]: suricata.service: control process
exited, code=exited status=1
Dec 27 18:36:46 localhost systemd[1]: Unit suricata.service entered
failed state.

service suricata start doesn't yield any useful information either and
I'm at a loss as to how to fix this.  Is there anyone who can help point
out how fix the init scripts or systemctl so that suricata starts on bootup?

Thanks.