[Oisf-devel] placement and SIDs for new rules

David Mandelberg dmandelb at bbn.com
Wed Dec 5 17:24:41 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'm working on some rules that use existing keywords and a new variable.
I added the variable to suricata.yaml.in:

    # Router addresses directly attached to any link that Suricata is
    # listening to.
    LOCAL_LINK_ROUTERS: "[0.0.0.0/0,fe80::/64]"

An example rule using the variable is:

alert icmp !$LOCAL_LINK_ROUTERS any -> any any (msg:"SURICATA ICMPv4 unexpected redirect"; ip_proto:1; itype:5; sid:TODO; rev:1;)

My questions are:

Should I create a new file under rules/ to store those rules? Do they
belong somewhere else like Emerging Threats? If they belong in Suricata,
what SIDs should I use?