[Oisf-devel] placement and SIDs for new rules

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Fri Dec 7 13:46:08 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 4:22 AM, Victor Julien <victor at inliniac.net> wrote:

> > My questions are:
> >
> > Should I create a new file under rules/ to store those rules? Do they
> > belong somewhere else like Emerging Threats? If they belong in Suricata,
> > what SIDs should I use?
>
> We use this doc about SID allocation. Everything below 2000000 is
> reserved to VRT:
> http://doc.emergingthreats.net/bin/view/Main/SidAllocation

With the exception of the 1 million range. THat's reserved for local rules.
THat's the best place to put rules for local use of course. No chance od a
sid conflict with something you bring in.

ET and ETPRO will be all in the 2 million range. VRT is under 1 million.

We don't note the private range in the sid allocation wiki page. Probably
should just to make things clear. I'll add that today!

> As to where these rules belong, that is an interesting question. Maybe
> we distribute them with Suricata at first, then when the set(s)
> stabilize we can see if it makes sense to talk to ET about integrating?

ET is always welcoming of rules of use! If they work for you and you can
share please do, we'll take care of them.

Matt

Matt Jonkman
Emerging Threats Pro
Phone 866-504-2523 x110