[Oisf-devel] Who can tell me the advantange over snort?

Josh White josh at securemind.org
Wed Feb 22 14:58:48 UTC 2012

Talk about opening pandora's box....

I'll start things off by saying that there's a number of advantages to
using Suricata, most important of which is freedom and community.

On the technical site Suricata offers a number of advantages see (somewhat
outdated articles):

http://holisticinfosec.org/toolsmith/docs/august2010.html,
http://www.aldeid.com/wiki/Suricata-vs-snort
http://www.inliniac.net/blog/2010/07/22/on-suricata-performance.html

However for my own use, scale is the most important feature.
Multi-threading scales much better then parallelizing an application in
some cases. NIDS happens to be one of those cases. Easy use of PF_Ring,
PCRE, AC, Flow Pinning and others without having to force fit them in adds
icing to the cake.

- josh