[Oisf-devel] new work on "protocol shepherds"

Ron Watro rwatro at bbn.com
Thu Nov 29 14:49:00 UTC 2012

At BBN we are working on some " protocol shepherds" that we'd like to
contribute to Suricata.  Our idea is to build a set of rules that focus on a
specific protocol and that detect the common attacks and/or misuses of the
protocol.   We are starting with ICMP (we did note that there were some
existing rules here) and after that will move to DNS and others.   Dan
Wyschogrod and David Mandelberg are the key developers on the project.
We've got the OISF developer agreement and have sent that to our legal
department for approval.  We'll be posting more info and asking questions
about Suricata shortly.   Looking forward to helping make Suricata an even
bigger success.  -Ron Watro