[Oisf-devel] geoip keyword syntax

I. Sanchez sanchezmartin.ji at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:16:01 UTC 2012

Hi,

I am implementing support for IP address country geolocation in Suricata,
and I wanted to ask your opinion about the syntax to be used for the geoip
keyword options.

https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/issues/559

The keyword options would be:

   - Country code. ie: US
   - Match condition: match on source IP, match on destination IP, or match
   on both.

What do you think would be the best syntax for this?

Some possibilities:

   - geoip:<src|dst|both>,<countrycode>;
      - alert http any any -> any any (msg:"GEOIP: IP located in US";*
      geoip:src,US*;sid:3450002;rev:1;)
      - geoip:<countrycode>,<src|dst|both>;
      - alert http any any -> any any (msg:"GEOIP: IP located in US";*
      geoip:US,src*;sid:3450002;rev:1;)

Regards,

  I. Sanchez