[Oisf-devel] post-2.0 roadmap

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Tue Apr 1 16:01:28 UTC 2014

Hi all,

With 2.0 finally out it's time to look ahead. I have done so a bit here:
http://blog.inliniac.net/2014/03/25/suricata-2-0-and-beyond/, but I
think a lot more can be said on what the future should look like.

In the short term, we'll focus on 2.0.1. In this release we're
addressing bugs that are being reported in 2.0. As always, despite betas
and release candidates, real testing begins after you've declared
something stable, and of course there are always some issues.

There is a tentative list of features and other tickets for 2.1 here:
https://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/versions/55. It's certainly
not set in stone, so feedback is most welcome. Keep in mind though,
because we're a small team, thats feedback is nice, offers for help are
nicer :)

Some things that are already in the works for 2.1:

- protocols: smtp file extraction, smtp logging. Other email protocols.
- protocols: Improved ftp.
- protocols: TLS update
- performance increases in various places
- output: eve upgrades, more stuff to log
- output: lua scripting
- detection: improved lua detection capabilities
- packet capture: nflog, netmap
... and more ...

I personally would like to make this dev cycle quite a bit shorter than
the 2.0 cycle, which lasted over a year. A July release goal is what I'd
like to see, so that the gap between what we're working on and what most
people are using isn't as big as it was lately.

So what do you want to see in 2.1? And how can you help us to make it
happen?

Speak up!

Cheers,
Victor