[Oisf-devel] Draft Response to Victor

John Griffith jgriffit at bbn.com
Tue Jun 2 17:38:24 UTC 2015

OK, then have we got a deal for you.

The bottom line is we are tasked with providing this integration. A goal
of the project I am on is to distribute rules via TAXII to subscribing
Suricata hosts, then adding those new rules to the running Suricata
instance on that host. We would like to do so without disturbing the
detection engine already running so the instance wouldn't lose any state.

A stated goal of the project is the delivery of the changes we are
making to the Suricata code base for your review and - if you so
determine - integration. We intend also to put the STIX/TAXII
distribution infrastructure source up for public use through some
yet-to-be determined means - possibly GitHub.

The current design uses a daemon on the Suricata host to receive
incremental sets of rules from one or more trusted distribution sites.
The daemon saves these rules to a file, then uses the unix socket
interface to tell Suricata that new rules are available and where they
are. Note that only 'NEW' rules will be distributed in this fashion.

The unix socket thread has been modified to accept a new 'append-rules'
command. This command specifies a path to a file that contains the 'new'
rules, and we are smoke testing a version that does a 'SIGUSR2' rule
type update - basically the existing 'ReloadRules' functionality with
the ability to read an additional specified file. This gives us the
desired 'external' behavior, but we'd like to go further.

Once this initial version is working, the next thing we'd like to do is
see if we can insert the new rules into the *existing *detection engine
without reparsing all the other rules or disturbing their current state.
The goal would be to get the new rules (and only the new rules) parsed,
get any associated state initialized, and then insert them into the rule
list in the running detection engine, pausing it only long enough to
update the list pointers. We do not want to disturb the state of the
currently running rules and allow them to continue processing packets &
flows uninterrupted (or as much so as possible).

If you (or anyone else) have/has any thoughts or comments on this
approach, we'd appreciate hearing them. We're still pretty flexible at
this point, but we intend to pretty much finish up implementation this
month...

John Griffith