[Oisf-devel] Suricata blocking web server

Jinsheng Chen smalldust.chen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:46:46 UTC 2017

Hi Victor,

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!
What you said solved this problem. I did forget to redirect the OUTPUT
chain to NFQUEUE.

By the way, could you please advise what is the best practice of using
suricata with iptables?

I mean, if you simply add a "-A INPUT -j NFQUEUE" to the 1st line, every
single packet will be transferred to suricata, even the packets that are
supposed to be blocked by iptables.
If you add a "-A INPUT -j NFQUEUE" to the last line or in the middle of the
table, a lot of traffic such as "-A INPUT -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT" will be accepted without being checked by
suricata.

Therefore, my current solution is:
1) Add a new chain (such as "MyIDS"), and in the chain, all traffic are
redirected to NFQUEUE.
2) Replace all the "ACCEPT" targets with "MyIDS".
By this way, first traffic are check by iptables and then, only allowed
traffic are check by suricata.

Is this the best way or is there an "official best practice" for this?

Thanks!
Jinsheng