[Oisf-devel] how to setup the suricata for extracting the files from ftp protocol and save into disk

zhangqs zhangqs at act.buaa.edu.cn
Mon Mar 19 09:34:38 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

I have been struggling a few days to the function file extraction, the
reference doc is:
http://suricata.readthedocs.io/en/latest/file-extraction/file-extraction.html?highlight=ftp.
The protocol that I want to use is FTP.
1) Suricata version is latest that cloned from github.
2) I setup the suricata.yaml: file-store.enabled: yes
3) I create a rule file hello.rules, its content is:

alert  http  any  any  ->  any  any  (msg:"FILE store all";  filestore;  sid:1;  rev:1;)

4) ./configure --prefix=/usr/ --sysconfdir=/etc/ --localstatedir=/var/
5) make && make install

My testing pcap is in the attachment. but I cannot find the
file(Music.mp3) was extracted and saved into the disk
(/var/log/suricata/files/).
Has anybody ever been successful about extraction FTP file into disk?

And then I read the code, and cannot find which code is responsible for
saving file into the disk?
I guess the process is:

FTPDataParseRequest-->FTPDataParse-->FileOpenFile|FileAppendData-->StreamingBuffer

but the data is still in memory, where is save the StreamingBuffer into
the disk?

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks a lot,
Kris