[Oisf-users] Any solution about rotating suricata logs?

Edward Fjellskål edwardfjellskaal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 05:08:50 EST 2011

On 11/29/2011 09:58 AM, carlopmart wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    Due to a lot information stored under http.log, I need to run logrotate
> on it. Searching mailing list about this particular, I see this:
>
> http://lists.openinfosecfoundation.org/pipermail/oisf-devel/2011-September/000726.html
>
>    Exists any "clean" solution to do this??
>
> ---
> CL Martinez
> carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com

/logrotete + copytruncate/ ?

basically it does something like:
cp http.log http.log.1 && > http.log

If you gzip the files, you should get about 80-90% reduction. in size.
and if you use zgrep to grep for stuff in the gziped log files, it can
actually be faster
than using grep on the uncompressed files.

My tests here now:
http.log      = 1.3 GB
http.log.gz =  174 MB

time grep google http.log > /dev/null
real 0m23.604s

time zgrep google http.log.gz > dev/null
real 0m8.332s