[Oisf-users] optical ethernet tap

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Wed Mar 16 01:10:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a machine that will passively listen to traffic
via an optical tap.

I have a optical splitter that is taking the TX from the router's SFP
and splitting it into two optical paths.

First one goes to the other router
Second one goes to linux sniffer machine's SFP RX port.

Yet, I can't get the ethernet on the linux machine to show any packets.

There must some sort of setting on the ethernet port to tell it to
come UP and process packets despite there being no link heart-beat,
etc.

I've done   ifconfig eth5 promisc -arp UP   and that didn't do sqwat.

thoughts, advice ?

thanks