[Discussion] Features suggestion

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 01:56:06 UTC 2008

Good points, Jeremy.  I agree that having a specification for follow-up
traffic would be a great feature.  I also strongly agree that flows are an
integral part of any NSM setup.

As an example, running a list of known-bad IP's against last week's flows
can be really great way of finding infected hosts that have evaded IDS.  It
follows then that the infected machines I find that way are usually the most
sophisticated and novel hacks.  Studying those incidents leads to the
creation of new signatures, which feeds back into the IDS net.  Supporting
that process as much as possible is a worthwhile goal for this project.

I feel I must give a word of caution regarding the pursuit of network
behavior anomaly detection.  I would instead suggest that this group focuses
on providing ways to define things which are absolute, and not subjective in
any way.  A system which can spew out info like "these 4 hosts downloaded
files which have an average .src entropy higher than 7" would be more
valuable than a system which tried to guess at which 4 hosts were not acting
like the other hosts on the network.  Obviously, if your system can pinpoint
interesting things, you are close to identifying odd traffic patterns.  The
key difference I am trying to point out is that I think it's less useful to
spend time identifying how many or what percentage entropy is "odd" than it
is in creating new ways of measuring something like file entropy.

--Martin