[Discussion] Brainstorming Session Notes

Seth Hall hall.692 at osu.edu
Tue Nov 18 04:07:02 UTC 2008

On Nov 17, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Thorsten Holz wrote:
> But you are running a whole cluster of machines, don't you? :-)
> Can you share some details on what kind of machines you use for Bro?

Sure, anything you want to know :)

Right now I have 21 Dell SX260's with 1 gig of memory (they have
horribly narrow memory bandwidth and are *very* slow) and 2 core2-quad
processor hosts with 4 gigs of memory.  I'm going to be adding 4 more
quad core hosts in the next couple of days too because I want to get
rid of the SX260's.  My manager host is a Dell 2950 with 2 gigs of
memory.

The quad core hosts I have been building are only costing ~$650, so
it's fairly affordable to just keep adding new ones until we don't
drop packets.

   .Seth

---
Seth Hall