[Discussion] Features

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Sat Oct 18 22:01:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 16:28 -0500, th3 m0nq wrote:
> [..] I think there is
> room, at minimum, to have packets that do not necessarily trigger a
> rule "flagged" in some way in an IDS.  This could be implemented as a
> plug-in component of the system.  This may be way outside of the scope
> of what you guys are looking at, but that's my 2 cents.

Receiving alerts (with session content) on IP's that don't trip existing
signatures, but are present in a hostile-IP list, is a good idea (for
example, to detect new evasion techniques of existing badware).

However, I don't think the sensor is the proper place for that due to
the immense IP-matching workload that would have to occur on a
per-packet or per-session basis (remember, we're talking at least tens
of thousands hostile IP's). As Robert and Martin eluded in an other
thread, any sort of correlation and IP analysis, scoring,
severity-bumping, etc, is best done in the analysis or portal engine.
(We do those things in our shop as well, with back-end scripts and our
portal).

While you can make decisions on the IP "badness value" for analysis, you
would of course miss the content of the IP not receiving an alert. I
don't think any existing detection engine of an IDS is the proper place.
But perhaps a parallel engine that collects network stream data and does
matching on hostile IP's, and then checks (perhaps by packet/session
timestamp) if the IDS did produce an alert in a recent time window
(since the session-IP-eval-engine will surely lag behind). That check
would probably be best done against the IDS/portal database. A simple
bpf filter with hostile 20,000+ IP's to capture content will probably
not cut it :)

-Frank

against your ports.