[Discussion] Features

Jeremy jeremy at sudosecure.net
Mon Oct 20 00:46:14 UTC 2008

Thought of another feature I would like to see....

[not sure of the number]
I would like to see a single capture engine have the ability to
perform the analysis of the data (however that may be), and also this
same engine should be able to capture session statistics (flow data),
and full packet captures.  What I mean by this is that currently I run
3 applications on all of my IDS' to get this data.  I use SANCP for
session data, Tcpdump for full packet capture and snort for IDS
functionality.  I believe it would improve overall system performance
to only have one application read the packets from the capture library
such as libpcap instead of several applications having to read this
data.  I know that I ran into a wall with the 32 bit architecture in
that I could only allocate small amounts of Low memory space to each
application, as the kernel can only be allocated 1 GB.  This 1 GB has
to be divided up between with these three applications and well all
other applications.  I recently was told you could actually allocate 2
GB low memory on a 32 bit architecture, but as of today I have not
figured out how.  If you over run the low memory space reserved by the
kernel you end up with oom kills which can be really frustrating as it
will kill off applications based off some really odd/cryptic
algorithm.  Anyways getting back to one application performing all
three tasks, the packet only needs to be copied once and therefore I
could allocate a substantial amount of the low memory reserved by the
kernel to this application.  Now I know not everyone will want to
capture flow data, and full packet data on their IDS boxes, but if
this was a configurable option it may help some of us.  I also noticed
someone else posted about SANCP indexing abilities, this would be nice
to have in the new engine as well to make correlating Session data
(flow data) to full packet captures very fast and easy.  Having the
full packet captures on my IDS boxes has really helped in identifying
false positives and signature tweaking.  The session data (flow data)
has proven to be an outstanding addition to our anomaly detection
capabilities.

--jeremy