[Discussion] Features

David Glosser david.glosser at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 00:04:01 UTC 2008

Back to the idea of Spam-assassin scoring:

Once a bad host is identified, then I'm wondering if IP reputation could
maybe using a "halo effect" whereby other IPs by the same provider are given
lower scores.

Say reputation is from 0-100 (with 100 being bad)

So if an IP on hosting provider "Btrivo" contains malware, that IP gets a
reputation score of 50.
Adjacent IPs are given a reputation score of 30.
All of the IPs in "Btrivo's" netblock are given a reputation score of 10.

Two adjacent IP addresses each hosting malware each will get a score of 90
(50+30+10).

If malware goes away, score decreases each day. For each day host is still
up, score increases....