[Discussion] not a db schema

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Tue Oct 28 16:54:57 UTC 2008

I wonder if we ought to build several db schema's for different goals.

I'm not a deep-down sql expert (we'll get one involved when we get
here), but I suspect if your goal is different a different schema will
do best.

For instance, if you intend to keep every alert ever generated for
historical comparison you need one schema to keep it snappy. If you
intend to have a smaller number of alerts but a massive number of
sensors inserting frequently then you may need a different structure.

So perhaps we should build several schemas and let you choose at setup.
Then the engine just reads the version tag and inserts in that form.

Any sql guru's that could speak more to this?

Matt