[Discussion] db schema

James McQuaid jim.mcquaid at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 23:37:54 UTC 2008

My MySQL experience is relatively recent and rather limited, having
used SQL Server and Oracle in employment, so I'm no guru.

"Is there a large enough difference in how you'd structure a scheme
for large scale vs small/speedy to justify thinking about this?"

Yes.  MySQL's most important feature is its storage-engine
architecture, which separates query processing and other server tasks
from data storage and retrieval.  MySQL 6.0 supports 13 different
runtime plug-in storage engines.  This allows one to determine on a
table by table basis how the data is stored and what performance
characteristics are sought.  Optimizing schema "can improve
performance by orders of magnitude". For high performance, schema and
indexes must be designed for specific queries. Performance
requirements must vary for different kinds of queries.  So, we should
allow a user to select one of several sets of schema combinations.
These sets of schema combinations might be based upon environmental
criteria such as hardware, home user vs. enterprise, etc.

Andre's point is very well taken with respect to requirements for data
retention and access: distributed file systems may be a necessity,
rather than an option, for regulated environments.

Jim

--
James McQuaid
http://www.jamesmcquaid.com