[Discussion] Configuration file conditional preprocessor

Martin Fong martin.fong at sri.com
Wed Feb 11 21:07:37 UTC 2009

Victor,

 >  I understand your goal and I like it. However one of our goals is
 >  to make the configuration & tuning less complex. Adding this type
 >  of complexity could conflict with that goal. On the other hand just
 >  having to configure one config that could be deployed everywhere in
 >  your organization may make it simpler again... thoughts?

The complexity of a configuration file is subject to its design and
implementation, and I assert that the addition of conditional
processing directives, whose use is optional, neither fosters nor
hinders this complexity.  However, like multiple inheritance in OOPLs,
you'll seldom need it, but when you do, the workarounds are both
inconvenient and ugly.

      Cheers!

      ...Martin