[Discussion] Plug-Ins

Victor Julien lists at inliniac.net
Sat Feb 28 14:14:20 UTC 2009

Martin Fong wrote:
> Victor,
>
>>>  I'd like to a have a plug-in architecture that simply/only uses
>>>  dynamic libraries and configuration files (-- I've _never_ been
>>>  happy with the compile-it-into-the-code-base model).
>>
>>  Yeah, this is something I want as well. I wonder how far we should
>>  take this though: detection modules only, or also output, decoding,
>>  pattern matcher, packet sources (libpcap, ip_queue, etc), etc?
>
> I vote for all of them.  This would eliminate the fragility associated
> with patching configure[,.in] and Makefile[.ac,.in] scripts (which are
> highly subject to the versions of autoconf and automake), and it's
> inexpensive, because address reconciliation is only done once.

I agree, let's do as many as possible.

Btw, about the automake stuff, in another project I'm testing a build
system called 'waf' (http://code.google.com/p/waf/). I replaces
configure, automake, autoconf & make and only depends on python. So far
I'm really liking it. It's cool to have a build system that is actually
understandable. If it works out in my other project, I'm strongly
considering it for OISF as well.

Cheers,
Victor