[Discussion] Rules Syntax

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 00:53:49 UTC 2009

I think that Claudio's English signatures are good examples to start with.
Even a repository of paragraphs like that would be valuable to me.

A port-tracking database wouldn't be that big (as in, only a few gigs) to
store last remote port on a per-local-IP basis.  With decent indexing, it
would be extremely fast.

Regarding statistical analysis, I highly encourage the group to check out
the NFSen project (nfsen.sourceforge.net) for inspiration.  They have an
entire framework for statistical alerting on Netflow contained in a small
amount of very pluggable/extensible Perl packages. I'm extremely impressed
with its efficiency and the overall software architecture.  I've recently
implemented it in my org and it took almost zero effort.  In particular,
they have a plugin which applies a Holt-Winters exponential smoothing
algorithm to flows and alerts based on those statisical anomalies.  Email
alerts are standard, but there is a plugin for MySQL alert logging as well.
The quality of code is exceptional (I was very impressed to see so much
effort being spent on input validation!) and I plan on bolting it onto my
existing SIM.  I would think the Holt-Winters plugin code could be modified
to analyze a lot of input types.

I also want to point out that Netflow (or equivalent) is a great way to
disambiguate the inside IP addresses of a NAT point without having to
install a separate sensor.

As for rotating tcpdumps, I recommend checking out the methods both Time
Machine (http://www.net.t-labs.tu-berlin.de/research/tm/) and SANCP use to
decided whether to record traffic or not.  Setting it to ignore RTSP and
other types of bulky but useless network traffic can save a ton of disk
space.  By default, Time Machine will store only the first N bytes of
traffic per connection, so you can get a really great profile of a ton of
connections with a reasonable amount of disk.  For those of you with any
kind of budget at all, I would point out that you can build a 24 TB RAID
enclosure for under $4K (complete with hardware RAID5).  Disk is cheap!

That said, you can often get 80-90% of the intel you need with today's
malware by simply recording URL's via a web proxy or something like tshark,
and getting that into a database.  I am finding that more and more, sifting
through pcap's just ends up with me extracting the trail of URL's which
tells the whole story.  This trail is especially helpful when you use Anubis
from iseclab.org to sandbox-analyze a given URL.

--Martin