[Discussion] Rules Syntax

Claudio Criscione c.criscione at securenetwork.it
Wed Jan 7 08:27:07 UTC 2009

Happy new year ;-)

On Sunday 04 January 2009 01:53:49 Martin Holste wrote:
> I think that Claudio's English signatures are good examples to start with.
> Even a repository of paragraphs like that would be valuable to me.

I'm not sure a repository would really be useful - apart from inspiration. I
feel we need some sort of engine able to parse user-provided rules like that
one. Maybe something "a-la Peakflow", but far more flexible: this kind of alerts
are more about what's normal in your network than what's anomalous (i.e.
related to an attack). So it's really important to be able to let each user
build their own rulebase, or even better to be able to infer rules from actual
network flows...

> Regarding statistical analysis, I highly encourage the group to check out
> the NFSen project (nfsen.sourceforge.net) for inspiration.  They have an
[...]
> existing SIM.  I would think the Holt-Winters plugin code could be modified
> to analyze a lot of input types.

Seems an interesting project, if a bit outdated. As of today, which kind of
attacks can you detect in your organization with this tool?

> space.  By default, Time Machine will store only the first N bytes of
> traffic per connection, so you can get a really great profile of a ton of
> connections with a reasonable amount of disk.  For those of you with any

Which brings us to the "size of the window" issue... but that's another story.

Matt wrote:
> > How do we go after that then? (Call to the db experts out there)
> > Use a sliding scale so as the user-defined storage space allocated fills
> > up older data drops out?

I would definitly thing of some aggregation scheme... I can't remember the
proper name but I'm sure any warehousing expert could enlighten me. We could
have a greater resolution of data on, say, a week. Then we start to aggregate,
for instance instead of saving the data we only record the protocol and the
ports for up to one month, and we compress tcpdump data for a week. After one
month, we only record IP endpoints and delete everything else.
In such a way, we somehow mitigate "rotation" issues...

> > integration/AD, netbios login monitoring, etc. It's possible, but it's a
> > big thing to tackle. And likely we'd have patent conflicts. We can
> > explore that though if there's a large enough driver to get it. Thoughts?

I think that we should build as many "plugin hooks" as possible. Let those who
have the patents do the work, if they care... but an integration with AD
(which is one of the most widely used "IM solutions") would be useful and
interesting.

> > contract or grant fund a real statistician or group of such. Maybe we
> > could get it made into a class project at a university somewhere under
> > the guidance of an experienced statistician.

I'm sure many universities would be interested but, in order to have useful
results, very very very detailed requirements should be provided :)

--
Claudio Criscione

Secure Network S.r.l
Via Venezia, 23 - 20099 Sesto San Giovanni (MI) - Italia
Tel: +39 02.24126788 Mob: +39 392 3389178
email: c.criscione at securenetwork.it
web: www.securenetwork.it