[Discussion] Features - Designing for Scaleability

Frank Knobbe frank at knobbe.us
Thu Jan 15 23:57:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-01-15 at 12:35 -0600, Martin Holste wrote:
> Regarding sensor-sensor communcation, I recommend using OpenVPN for
> all communication since it's free, cross-platform, provides built-in
> compression, has easy configuration, it's PKI infrastructure based,
> and makes debugging much easier since you can sniff your tun0 socket.
> It also makes your host firewall rules much more simple.

But then you have administration overhead, right? (Sorry, I don't use
OpenVPN. All my VPN's are SSH-based).

Wouldn't it make more sense to use some sort of cloud/P2P-based
sensor-to-sensor communication that is able to "find" other sensors to
reduce admin tasks? Give it a name and let it join the sensor cloud.  :)
I think that may be what Matt was eluding to in regards to sensors being
aware of each other.

Cheers,
Frank