[Discussion] Features - Designing for Scaleability

Jason Ish ish at unx.ca
Fri Jan 16 04:38:59 UTC 2009

I know that some large companies and government agencies aren't to
keen when they've found out you are using your own encryption scheme.
They'd much rather see something along the lines of TLS.  I think TCP
can be quite efficient, its also much easier to keep track of state if
you need to.  Lately I've been looking at Google protocol buffers, and
it is quite efficient at encoding data over the wire.

Hub and spoke sounds about right I think.  I could imagine something
where a company has their sensors talking to their server.  Their
server could then optionally hook into the global network where
information such as IP reputation could be distributed, or even
notification of new rules.  Sensors wouldn't talk directly to each
other in this scenario but would send a message to their server which
would then broadcast to its connected agents, and perhaps upstream
into the bigger network.

Jason