[Discussion] Distributed Blocking

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Sun Mar 1 10:40:32 EST 2009

You've described Snortsam here (www.snortsam.net). Long time favorite
tool of mine written by Frank Knobbe et al.

You use hubs that can talk to firewalls pretty much as you described.
You define sids that block, src or dst, and for how long. Then snortsam
handles the inserting and removing. Great tool, highly recommend using it.

We are definitely going to have to have something similar in the new
engine because we're looking at IP reputation. We also want to be able
to compare and block based on massive lists of IPs and reputation. But
we also need to be able to share block info with other perimeter devices.

I cant begin to tell you how effective it is to block an attacker on
your entire enterprise when they start to fool around at one point. I've
seen that drop the number of events of serious threat in an enterprise
more than 40%. That's a huge load off an analyst knowing that once an IP
demonstrated overt hostility they were blocked everywhere. Makes things
go very nice and quiet.

So yes, this definitely is something we need to make happen. Seems it'd
be a feature of a core central hub to manage the blocks, then maybe
relay block commands to remote sensors who may be the acutal blocker, or
closest to the external blocking device to communicate and make that
block. I'd definitely like to see this communication happen through the
existing sensor to core db connection though. Much easier for outside
tools to also then to read and manipulate that block stream as well.

Matt