[Discussion] rule language

Kevin Ross kevross33 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 9 12:00:36 UTC 2009

Hey,

I was thinking if it is possibly to build on the rule language (using snort
syntax as an example and including reliability) to include other device
information. For example:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> any 137 (msg"possible worm";
content:"iamabigbadworm"; depth:40; reliability:9;
nepenthes_event:reliability:+5; firewall:to_port_137,count:50;
reliability:+2; track:by_source; timeout:600 seconds; sid:1600001; rev:1;)

I am just making up the syntax but the idea is you have what you want to
match upon within the entire distributed IDS. For instance here a worm
triggers an event and in this crude example the simple content match is
simple snort and this is enough to generate an alert. However say in this
example nepenthes generated an alert from the same source ip it will include
that information in an alert and increase the overall relaibility then if a
firewall (possibly through syslog or agents) sees the source IP trying to
reach that port a certain amount of times it increases the reliability.
Then the whole rule times out after 10 minutes (with the reliability:match
having confirmed hostility anyway).

If then it generates an alert but then subsequent events get grouped under
the same alert. Then what it is passed over to whatever the analysis output
is it can say: this worm sig triggered then this was seen on nepenthes plus
firewall activity providing more information as well as possibly creating
signatures to match upon unknown threats by correlating in a rule unusual
activity.

Having such a rule system could help tie together parts of the distibuted
IDS.

Oh and while I am at it; syslog content matches perhaps could be useful
because then syslog messages can be matched upon in part of the sig. i.e
content:syslog,"whatthecontentis". That way syslog compatible device
messages can be sent to a syslog server and then the message can be parsed
for an event increasing the reach of the distributed IDS.