[Discussion] Just one question

Seth Hall hall.692 at osu.edu
Wed Mar 18 19:14:02 UTC 2009

On Mar 18, 2009, at 2:30 PM, John Johnson wrote:

>  There is a post about a new exec going around on the sigs list. I
> downloaded a
>  copy, yup, not flagged by clamav.  Wouldn't it really be nice to have
> a list of md5sum
>  objects that could be a trigger?  I don't mind if it can't be
> blocked,
> but it sure would
>  be nice to say - it came from this IP at this time.

We've been doing this for quite a while with Bro based on the Team
Cymru Malware Hash Registry (at least for files transferred over HTTP)
by doing a DNS query after each md5 sum that we collect when we
identify windows executables.  It's nice because we don't have to
maintain a list of md5 sums since we're doing the lookups over DNS.

   .Seth

---
Seth Hall
Network Security - Office of the CIO