[Discussion] [Oisf-announce] Consortium Bylaws Draft Available!

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Sun May 10 20:19:40 UTC 2009

Brian Rectanus wrote:
> I like the text.  It is simple, fair and to the point.  One addition
> you may consider is a clause in the Advisory Board that allows
> exchange of continued contributions in lieu of the membership fees for
> organizations.  This may make it easier for individuals working in
> smaller organizations (such as myself) to join in with the ability to
> contribute some of their "corporate time" to OISF as the organization
> would be benefit by receiving some recognition in return.

Very good point. That's a definite goal of ours is to allow any kind of
contribution. Cash is useful, but a company that can contribute code,
tehcnology, or give their interested coders time to chip in is even better!

We're hoping to have interested consortium members able to give for
example 5 hours a week of some of their coders. That's worth more to us
in many cases than financial donations as it allows us to tap the
expertise that might not normally be available, or may only be necessary
for short portions of the development process.

I'll reword that to be more clear there for the next draft.

> That being said, it may be a moot point depending on what the fees
> are.  Any idea what these fees may be?

Not certain yet, but we strive to keep them low. Especially the first
year or two as our costs are well covered by the DHS grants coming
available to us in the next week or two.

As our gov't funding slows in the next couple years we'd look for more
support. But we hope to have major development completed before funding
runs out, so the consortium members would then only need to share the
burdens of code maintenance and any new features they were interested in
getting added.

>>> Our primary funding is nearly available, and we're set to start major
>>> development in the next few weeks. We'll be scheduling an initial
>>> planning meeting in the Washington DC area in the next 2 weeks.
>>> Attendance will be open to the public, we encourage you to attend!
>
> I'd love to attend if scheduling allows.

I will get this set up and announced in the next week or so. We will
also be scheduling featureset/milestone creation meetings in west coast
and midwestern US locations in the near term. European and South
American venues if the interest is there as well. We'll do our best to
have these meetings open to conference bridges or video.

Thanks for the comments Brian!

Matt

Matthew Jonkman
Emerging Threats