[Discussion] Consortium Bylaws Draft Available!

Ivan Ristic ivan.ristic at gmail.com
Thu May 21 18:31:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Matt Jonkman <jonkman at jonkmans.com> wrote:
> Ivan Ristic wrote:
>>> All committers must complete a copyright assignment to OISF.
>>
>> I think you should consider giving shared copyright to committers. I
>> think that would enourage people to contribute significant chunks, as
>> there will be no danger that the code will be given away and possibly
>> "lost".
>
> How do you mean? How would the code be lost? you mean if the foundation
> chose to closed source it or something?

Yes, for example; or it goes bust. The bottom line is when someone
gives away his or her copyright the control over the code is out of
their hands. Similarly, what would happen if someone wanted to donate
a significant chunk of code? At the moment, he woould have to assign
the copyright over it to the foundation, but what if the author wants
to keep it for himeself?

>>> Advisory Board members are entitled to receive a version of the
>>> OISF Engine under more permissive terms for a period of one year.
>>
>> This isn't clear enough: do you mean that they get a perpetual licence
>> for the code but no updates after one year, or that all their rights
>> are terminated after one year?
>>

> There's a very good question. Our goal is to keep the vendors involved
> and supporting maintenance. So the original intent was if they did not
> intend to remain and support maintenance that they'd lose rights.
>
> I know that sounds harsh, but once we get to a stable codebase we
> wouldn't want to then see all the supporters just wander off and use
> what they had at the moment. But conversely, we don't want to scare
> everyone by thinking if they get into this they're in for some major
> commitment for the long term.
>
> Any ideas to make this more suitable for all?

I think it's too much to expect from a business to commit to paying a
yearly fee forever. For example, what happens if you slow down
development to a crawl?

In general, I think that it's going to be difficult for you to predict
what licensing terms will be suitable to your licensees. Thus, I think
you should remain flexible and be prepared to tweak your licensing
model as you go along.

--
Ivan Ristic