[Discussion] The approach to detect proxybots

Nick Rogness nick at rogness.net
Sat May 30 17:45:21 UTC 2009

This is an intersting approach.  I don't know how probablistic the delays will be however.  Most isp's will deliberately slow mail connects in the network to act as a sort of tarpit for spam farming.  I know we do at least and have talked with others about it as well. This may be in transit or at the actual mail server.

Additionally, with spammers, they are clever little SOBs.  Once you have this detection working, they will change the botnet code to react differently to avoid detection.

Nonetheless, one could increase the probability of detection with a significantly higher sampling...whether using information from other sensors in one network or from other sensors in other networks.  A network of OISF sensors independently distributed across the internet would be useful for these types of detections and other like it via some sort of feedback system.

I still think it would be worth investigating as one of many ways to detect these botnets.  If you have some code to test I'll put it on our ISP network to see how well it works.