[Discussion] Suricata performance over pcap

Joel Ebrahimi jebrahimi at bivio.net
Fri Jan 14 22:48:41 UTC 2011

I was curious about some of the Napatech results. I watched the video
regarding this and they state that they are able to get packets to
Suricata at 10Gb/s speed. We are able to do that on the Bivio system as
well but the challenge has been having Suricata actually process those
packets at that speed. Do you know if these results meant that Suricata
itself actually processed packets at 10Gb/s, the video explanation was
vague in saying if that was acheived? Even with parallel processing it
would seem that some of the expensive memcpy() functions and DPI
required  would make this challenging at the user space level. Happen to
know anything more on how this was achieved in Suricata, especially with
a loaded ruleset?

Thanks,

// Joel

Joel Ebrahimi