[Discussion] OISF to Support Barnyard2 Development!

Matthew Jonkman jonkman at emergingthreatspro.com
Wed Jun 29 10:44:51 UTC 2011

I think this is a great idea for a number of things. Even if you're not a site that wants an event not alerted if the victim isn't vulnerable, this could be used as a way to tag alerts with a note that the victim is reported to be vulnerable and prioritize the event apprproiately, or vice versa if not vulnerable.

 (reference the myriad discussions we've had on the ET lists about whether you should react when there is hostile intent, vs hostile success).

The Qualys folks are very cooperative, and i'm sure would be interested in some kind of involvement. They've got a really interesting new project in the works called Iron Bee, and open source WAF.

How much interest is there to do this at this level? If you're wanting this functionality would you be better off going with an existing correlation engine, or should we go down this road here?

Matt