[Oisf-announce] [Discussion] Bylaws Draft 2 Available!

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Thu Jun 25 17:44:48 UTC 2009

Sorry for the delay in answering Tom, but you make good points. We've
been talking to our counsel and think we have things ironed out. We are
being VERY careful to have a solid legal framework to stand on that will
allow the foundation to fulfill it's goals of building a great piece of
software, making it open source and easy to use without license
conflicts, and protecting the foundation and project from litigation
down the road.

So version 0.2 of the bylaws are available. The only changes are:

1. We are going with GPLv2 to avoid the patent complications. Those are
surmountable, but the possible negative image some folks still have of
gplv3 are something we don't want to have to overcome. 2 will work.

2. A quorum will be defined as a majority for voting purposes. (this
isn't spelled out in the summary of the bylaws here. These are just
working material, once we're set these will be drafted into full
legalese and made available for review)

So please all take a look and let us know if there are any other issues
we should consider before the full bylaws are drawn up.

http://www.openinfosecfoundation.org/bylaws_draft_v0.3.txt

Thanks Tom and everyone for the frank and constructive conversation.
It'll pay off for us all with a solid and reliable framework to get
things done!

Matt