[Oisf-announce] [Discussion] Consortium Bylaws Draft Available!

Matt Jonkman jonkman at jonkmans.com
Tue May 19 20:08:32 UTC 2009

Ivan Ristic wrote:
>> All committers must complete a copyright assignment to OISF.
>
> I think you should consider giving shared copyright to committers. I
> think that would enourage people to contribute significant chunks, as
> there will be no danger that the code will be given away and possibly
> "lost".

How do you mean? How would the code be lost? you mean if the foundation
chose to closed source it or something?

>> Advisory Board members are entitled to receive a version of the
>> OISF Engine under more permissive terms for a period of one year.
>
> This isn't clear enough: do you mean that they get a perpetual licence
> for the code but no updates after one year, or that all their rights
> are terminated after one year?

There's a very good question. Our goal is to keep the vendors involved
and supporting maintenance. So the original intent was if they did not
intend to remain and support maintenance that they'd lose rights.

I know that sounds harsh, but once we get to a stable codebase we
wouldn't want to then see all the supporters just wander off and use
what they had at the moment. But conversely, we don't want to scare
everyone by thinking if they get into this they're in for some major
commitment for the long term.

Any ideas to make this more suitable for all?

>> A 75% vote of all of the Committers can override a Board decision.
>> The bylaws may be amended by a 75% vote of all the Committers.
>
> In that case you'll need to ensure that you don't get too many
> Committers from the same organisation (or related organisations).

Very true. I expect we'll have a large commiter base once things are
going so we wouldn't have the issue. But maybe we need a clause that if
a majority of commiters are from a single organization other commiters
could challenge that and have their voting power reduced somehow. I'll
check with our lawyers for ideas there, and if that's a legal/advisable
thing to do.

Thanks for your comments Ivan!

Matt