[Oisf-devel] HTTP Log File

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:36:12 UTC 2011

Yes, it uses httpry as its backend for sniffing.  What's nice about
this is how ridiculously efficient httpry is.  It is much more
efficient than both Snort and Suricata's HTPlib for URL parsing
because it is lighter-weight, even though it will grab arbitrary
header fields.  This means it will offload quite a bit of CPU expense
from both Snort and Suricata.  On a high-speed network (> 100Mb/sec),
this is very noticeable.

What my wrapper does is matches requests with responses so the return
code, etc. is included and tacks on the country code.  It also breaks
up the domain name into subdomains so my fulltext search can use each
subdomain as a keyword (asdf.co.cc as well as co.cc).  I use the
syslog output for both IDS and httpry so that the URL's show up in my
syslog console right next to the Snort alert--no subquery required.