[Oisf-devel] PF_RING missing alerts that PF_RING-enabled libpcap matches

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Wed Jul 27 21:54:08 UTC 2011

Yes, it is the PF_RING enabled libpcap. I've not tried without, though I
assume it works! One odd thing though is with PF_RING runmodes I have

/proc/net/pf_ring/<pid>-eth2.xxx (before sending any packets):

Bound Device       : eth2
Slot Version       : 13 [4.7.1]
Active             : 1
Breed              : Non-DNA
Sampling Rate      : 1
Capture Direction  : RX+TX
Appl. Name         : Suricata
IP Defragment      : No
BPF Filtering      : Disabled
# Sw Filt. Rules   : 0
# Hw Filt. Rules   : 0
Cluster Id         : 0
Channel Id         : -1
Min Num Slots      : 4982
Poll Pkt Watermark : 128
Bucket Len         : 1514
Slot Len           : 1682 [bucket+header]
Tot Memory         : 8388608
Num Poll Calls     : 29
Tot Packets        : 0
Tot Pkt Lost       : 0
Tot Insert         : 0
Tot Read           : 0
Insert Offset      : 0
Remove Offset      : 0
Tot Fwd Ok         : 0
Tot Fwd Errors     : 0
Num Free Slots     : 4982

and with libpcap I get the same but:

Appl. Name         : <unknown>
Min Num Slots      : 4970
Poll Pkt Watermark : 1
Bucket Len         : 1518
Slot Len           : 1686 [bucket+header]
Tot Memory         : 8388608
Num Poll Calls     : 33
Num Free Slots     : 4970

Appl. Name <unknown> and differing number of Poll Calls, I guess is
expected, depending on how many seconds it took me to switch windows :)

Best Wishes,
Chris