[Oisf-devel] Announcing an IDS/IPS rules parser

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 22:03:10 UTC 2011

Cool, I may have to check that out.  I did a similar thing in a
quick-and-dirty way using the Parse::Snort Perl module in an effort to
auto-create rules to make an IDS based on httpry.  The goal was to
find all Snort rules which are only alerting on URI param keys and
values and then split all URL's coming in via httpry and Perl.  Since
split is cheap, this can be done at very low load on a high-traffic
network.  Unfortunately, I found that it was more trouble than I have
time for right now to smooth out all of the mis-parsed rules, so
hopefully your code doesn't have the same issues on some of the more
esoteric rule options like "filedata" that Parse::Snort chokes on.

However, it was a really interesting way to look at rules:  It created
an array of hashes in which a given content match string was mapped to
an array of SID's and a SID was mapped to its content matches.  When
you view the rules like that, the almost-duplicate rules pop out and
you can see all of the inefficiency that's been creeping in as time
goes on.