[Oisf-devel] how to tune suricata.yaml if I only record http access log with suricata

Delta Yeh delta.yeh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 07:20:45 UTC 2011

2011/9/15 Victor Julien <victor at inliniac.net>:
> On 09/15/2011 07:20 AM, Delta Yeh wrote:
>> Thank you for you info.
>> What I try to do is to test the memory/cpu resource suricata require
>> w/o signature.
>> There is some doc on high performance, but there is no doc with empty signature.
>
> The detection engine shouldn't take much memory & cpu cycles if you're
> running w/o signatures.
>
> You should disable all alert/log modules except http-log.
>
> You can probably lower the stream.reassembly.depth value as you're only
> caring about the http header.

In the default suricata.yaml,
#   reassembly:
#     memcap: 67108864          # 64mb tcp reassembly memcap
#     depth: 1048576            # 1 MB reassembly depth

Is the memcap allocated on demand?
Is the memory required by depth allocated for each tcp flow?
Any suggestion for the depth value for a website which has bbs?

> Ideally you'd be creating your own "runmode" in the code:
> pkt acq -> decode -> stream -> http-log

   I'm interested in this!  Any detail info on how to achive this?
Thanks in advance.

Intrest