[Oisf-devel] [Oisf-users] Suricata 1.3 Available!

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 15:58:18 UTC 2012

Thanks for the explanation.  We run about 7k rules on about 800 Mb/sec
of traffic.  We had run ac full which had performed very well (no
drops).  I tried out ac-bs yesterday for the latter part of the day
and we got about the same performance as ac full.  The ram usage was
indeed significantly less.  It decreased from about 35G with ac full
to about 4G with ac-bs.  Since we couldn't get it to drop in
yesterday's testing, I guess we don't know where the line is where
ac-bs is inferior to ac full, but it's clear that for many, ac-bs will
be very important as folks are far more likely to have 8G of ram than
the 144G we have, which means that a machine with 8G should now be
able to handle 1 Gb line-rate with a large rule set.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Anoop Saldanha <anoopsaldanha at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>

> I have removed all the state transitions that are part of 0 state transition.
>
> For example,
>
> 0-state transitions :
> ascii_code - transition
> 0 - 1
> 1 - 2
> 2 - 3
> 3 - 4
>
> 5-state transitions:
> 0 - 25
> 1 - 30
> 2 - 35
> 3 - 1 /* this transition actually comes out of state-0.  We'll remove this */
>
> This would compress the state table by quite a margin.  Leaves us with
> just 1 or 2 transitions per state which is quite a reduction from 256
> transitions.  I use binary search to search for the right transition.
> Brought down the table sizes to a couple of mbs from a 100 odd.  These
> are all my table sizes -
>

> * in bytes
>
> "ac-bs"
> 24348
> 38486
> 118900
> 47736
> 4716
> 4648804
> 558
> 15874
> 266202
> 6838
> 696
> 692
> 3982784
> 10756976
>
> In single mode it's not as fast as "ac".  "full" mode performs well.
>
>> looks like I should use this one since I have a ton of RAM, but I'm
>
> mem consumption would be low by *quite* a margin compared to "ac".
> The small table size should give good cache perf, but not as good as
> "ac"
>
> Probably can give it a shot with both "single" and "full" mode and see
> how it performs.
>
>> On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Victor Julien <victor at inliniac.net> wrote:
>>> The OISF development team is proud to announce Suricata 1.3. This
>>> release is a major improvement over the previous releases with regard to
>>> performance, scalability and accuracy. Also, a number of great features
>>> have been added.
>>>
>>> Major new features:
>>>
>>> - TLS/SSL handshake parser and rule keywords for detecting anomolies in
>>> TLS/SSL traffic
>>> - HTTP user agent keyword for matching directly on User-Agent header
>>> - On the fly MD5 calculation and matching for files in HTTP streams
>>>
>>> New / improved hardware support
>>>
>>> - Napatech support added
>>> - Endace support improved
>>> - New runmode for users of pcap wrappers (Myricom, PF_RING, others)
>>>
>>> Get the new release here:
>>> http://www.openinfosecfoundation.org/download/suricata-1.3.tar.gz
>>>
>>> The configuration file has evolved but backward compatibility is
>>> provided. We thus encourage you to update your suricata configuration
>>> file. Upgrade guidance is provided here:

>>> http://redmine.openinfosecfoundation.org/projects/suricata/wiki/Known_issues