[Oisf-devel] PREPROCESSOR IDEA: Reliable Fast Flux Detection

Seth Hall seth at icir.org
Tue Mar 20 12:39:01 UTC 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 5:05 AM, Victor Julien wrote:

> On 03/19/2012 07:14 PM, Martin Holste wrote:
>> How about a dev utility that converts Wireshark modules into
>> preprocessors suitable for Suricata?
>
> I think this would be a very significant effort due to the differences
> between the code bases, the libraries used, etc.

We have a BinPAC parser for DNS.  When the parser is "compiled" by BinPAC it just outputs C++ code for parsing DNS.

Here's the source for the parser:
	http://git.bro-ids.org/bro.git/blob/HEAD:/src/dns-protocol.pac

Here's the output C++:
	https://gist.github.com/2134712

Here's the file that uses the parser (as an example of how to work with BinPAC parsers):
	http://git.bro-ids.org/bro.git/blob/HEAD:/src/DNS-binpac.cc

Unfortunately now that I play with it for a minute, I see that we need to do a bit more work to separate the parser from Bro (it's intended to not depend on Bro at all).  If I have a chance, I'll look into doing that soon.

  .Seth

--
Seth Hall
(Bro) because everyone has a network