[Oisf-devel] Performance Boosts

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Fri Mar 23 07:56:31 UTC 2012

On 03/23/2012 05:46 AM, Brant Wells wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just wanted to report in...  The latest GIT version that I am running
> (Suricata 1.3dev (rev 22349f8)) has given me some very notable improvements!
>
> I almost wondered if Suricata had crashed a few minutes ago, because my
> web interface to BASE was lighting fast!
>
> Anyhow, I did some checking and suricata is now running steady between
> ~30% and 75% CPU usage... and roughtly 11% of my system memory (Quad
> core / 4GB box)...  Before it was running at 99% Cpu usage and consuming
> 60% of the boxes RAM.

That memory things has me somewhat worried. We did do some optimization,
but nothing should result in a factor 6 reduction I think.

What was the Suricata version you used before this?

> I went to check my stats.log and noticed that it was at the 2gb file
> limit, lol, so i don't have any hard numbers right now.  I will restart
> it tomorrow and get some...
>
> I am using the suricata.yaml that comes with the source, and have only
> modified the IP Addresses to match my network, all other settings have
> been left at default...

We did change the default runmode from auto to autofp, which should
scale much better:
http://www.inliniac.net/blog/2012/03/23/suricata-runmode-changes.html