[Oisf-devel] Diff Preprocessor / Detection Plugins

Song liu van20052005 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 2 23:56:58 UTC 2013

In Snort, preprocessors happen after decoding and before detection for two purposes:
1. defrag/tcp-tracking/tcp-assembly etc.
2. detect non-rule-based threats.

For Suricata, AFAIK, it will handle some non-rule-based threats when decoding and tcp-streaming and store to p->events and p->action.
After tcp-reassembly, Suricata has some preprocessors to automatically identify the protocol (in app-layer-*.c source files).