[Oisf-devel] RFC: vlan_id in flow tracking

Chris Wakelin c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
Mon Apr 8 12:58:00 UTC 2013

On 08/04/13 13:45, Victor Julien wrote:
> On 04/08/2013 02:02 PM, Chris Wakelin wrote:
>> On 08/04/13 12:44, Eric Leblond wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> If people are separating client networks by using first VLAN and if
>>> second VLAN is the one used in client network, the tunneling approach
>>> will not work.
>>> For now, I would say the best approach may be to use the outer VLAN id
>>> as tag in flow. But It might only be my way of seeing thing, so a choice
>>> could be done via a configuration variable.

>>> We have to force people to upgrade their switches. It is good for the
>>> economy! Seriously, VLAN tracking has to be optional even to address the
>>> issue with multiple layers of VLAN.
>>>

>> Alas Extreme 10GB border switches aren't cheap, and tagging only one
>> direction in a mirrored port is "by design" apparently. Presumably it's
>> to mark the direction and if they tagged both directions but with a
>> different VLAN tag, it would be just as awkward for us. We wouldn't get
>> our border switches upgraded just to make it easier for IDS either. I
>> might just about be able to persuade the network manager to go for a
>> fibre tap instead though.
>
> Just to make sure I understand how things work in your case.
>
> 1. connection passing through border: one direction tagged, other not

Yes, from a port-mirror of all the traffic

> 2. connection on inside only: fully tagged?

Yes, I think so, but at the moment we're only monitoring the borders
(three of them!)

At Will Metcalf's suggestion (ages ago) I modify the pf_ring.c kernel
module to ignore vlan_id in its hash calculations.

Best Wishes,
Chris

--
Christopher Wakelin,                           c.d.wakelin at reading.ac.uk
IT Services Centre, The University of Reading,  Tel: +44 (0)118 378 2908
Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AF, UK              Fax: +44 (0)118 975 3094