[Oisf-devel] Some questions about module development

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Fri Jan 18 09:46:56 UTC 2013

On 01/16/2013 01:51 PM, Jörg Vehlow wrote:
> Hallo again.
>
> Thanks for your answers so far.
>
> I took a deeper look into suricata and I got some more questions know.
>
> I was trying to understand the tcp stream, reassembly and message
> terminology.
>
> Can someone elborate the use of Flow, TcpSession and StreamMsg.

Flow is an object that we use to track everything related to the ...
flow :) A flow is shared between all packets with the same 5tuple
(proto,src,dst,sp,dp) until it times out.

TcpSession is a per flow object specifically for TCP stream tracking and
reassembly.

> What are messages in suricata terms? As far as I've seen everything send
> from the client ends up in ONE message. The same for the server. Is
> there any way, that more than one message exists for a single direction?
> I'm thinking about something like "a new message starts when the
> transmission direction changes".

The StreamMsg is a bit of a misnomer. It's actually chunks of
reassembled stream data in the normal case. Such chunks are always in
one direction. It can also be more of a message: telling the application
layer modules that a stream gap was encountered.

Cheers,
Victor