[Oisf-devel] Daily Ubuntu PPA form git - naming convention

Victor Julien victor at inliniac.net
Tue Jul 9 16:28:04 UTC 2013

On 07/09/2013 06:08 PM, Peter Manev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if we can get your input on the following:
>
> What would your suggestion be for the naming convention for the daily
> Ubuntu PPA builds from git?
>
> EX:
> 1.4-gitmaster-DATE-REVNO ?
> or something else?
>

> The only cavet I think is that  is that it must start with a digit -
> 1.4....
> 1.5....
> 2.9...

I think we can skip the version as it's going to be the git master
always, regardless or what version we're using in that.

I think something like git-<timestamp>-<shortref> would be good. The
timestamp needs to be in a way that makes the apt/deb system understand
when a package is newer. If it is truly 'daily', we can just use YYYYMMDD

If we really need the version, there are ways to retrieve the version
using a git command, but I don't remember it at this point. Then we can
probably do something like:

In my Vuurmuur project I used something similar:
vuurmuur_0.8~rc1-1+svn20130522_i386.deb