[Oisf-devel] Log output - syslog

Martin Holste mcholste at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 18:38:03 UTC 2014

Writing to syslog is very important for large deployments with centralized
collection as well as saving IOPS that are spent writing to disk
unnecessarily. Syslog-NG can read JSON templates, so writing all of these
events to something like ELSA (which would be easy in SecurityOnion) would
easily enable searching and analytics based on the wealth of data produced
by the new logging framework. Dealing with events in flat files adds a lot
of complexity versus event streaming using syslog.