[Oisf-devel] Steps to cross compile Suricata

Mahendra Ladhe lml108 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 08:28:29 UTC 2014

Hi,
   I'm trying to cross compile Suricata using a mips toolchain.
After crossing some hurdles, now I'm stuck at the following point.

My configure command line is

As can be seen, I've already cross compiled and installed all the dependencies.

The configure script stops at the following.
blah blah blah
checking libnfnetlink/libnfnetlink.h usability... yes
checking libnfnetlink/libnfnetlink.h presence... yes
checking for libnfnetlink/libnfnetlink.h... yes
checking for nfnl_fd in -lnfnetlink... yes
checking libnetfilter_queue/libnetfilter_queue.h usability... yes
checking libnetfilter_queue/libnetfilter_queue.h presence... yes
checking for libnetfilter_queue/libnetfilter_queue.h... yes
checking for nfq_open in -lnetfilter_queue... no
checking for nfq_set_queue_maxlen in -lnetfilter_queue... no
checking for nfq_set_verdict2 in -lnetfilter_queue... no
checking for nfq_set_queue_flags in -lnetfilter_queue... no
checking for signed nfq_get_payload payload argument... no
  ERROR!  libnetfilter_queue library not found, go get it
  from www.netfilter.org.
  we automatically append libnetfilter_queue when searching
  for headers etc. when the --with-libnfq-includes directive
  is used

I do have libnetfilter_queue library installed and its path passed to the configure script using --with-libnetfilter_queue-includes and --with-libnetfilter_queue-libraries options.
(Please also notice the error in the error message: There is no --with-libnfq-includes directive in the configure script).

As of today, I've a feeling that Suricata developers didn't pay attention to cross compiling aspect and focused only on x86.
On Internet, I can easily find step by step description of how to build Suricata on say Fedora/Ubuntu etc Linux, but am not finding any
webpage describing the same for cross compiling.

Could someone please clarify the steps for cross compiling Suricata ?

Thank you,
Mahendra